Decided to tidy my pantry and see what I need to replenish as well as check on expiring products!
Bumped into some Fleischmann’s yeast and suddenly my mind travelled back to when I was a kid and I remembered our live-in maid called Antonia making homemade bread!
Screeching halt on the tidying part, out comes the recipe for for an easy wheat yeast bread that is quick to make, no kneading required and is ready in less than an hour!
Here is the basic recipe, but you all know me, I deviate from all recipes (think its something in my blood that makes me want to break the rules, lol)
1 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons yeast (I use dry active)
1/4 cup honey
1/3 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon sea salt
3 – 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, mix together water, yeast, and honey. Let the mixture sit for 15 minutes.
- Add melted butter, salt, and egg.
- Gradually stir in the flour. The dough will be sticky but manageable. Cover the bowl of dough with a towel and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- With your hands, shape dough into 1 large round shape, do not pat on the top. In this case I sprinkled a large amount of Italian seasoning mixed with grated parmesan Cheese.
- Place on a baking sheet, cover again and let rise for 20 minutes.
- Bake 375° oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown
The hubby gave it a big seal of approval!
Now back to the pantry clean-up operation, until my next find of course!