As a little girl, I vividly remember my dad preparing what I think was his favourite salad, which in turn became my all time favourite of course!
So today I decided not only to re-live that memory, but to take it to another level in honor of the great guy that he was, <3 and I am sure that instead of being insulted by the changes, he would be proud of his little girl.
The original salad was very simple, below is a list of the ingredients:
- Butter Beans
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Thinly sliced onions
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive oil and vinegar
- Dusting of oregano
As you can see, it’s pretty simple, just mix the above ingredients and it’ oh sooooo tasty, and the best part was dipping pieces of a fresh baguette into the leftover juices!
In those days there was no fancy vinegar, no cilantro and goodness know’s what else, especially in Uruguay.
But nowadays, with the available ingredients, new flavours, fancy vinegars, etc…. I decided to take this salad to the next level.
Not too many changes, just a few additions, so here it goes………
- Butter Beans – stayed the same I used 2 cans
- Sliced Tomatoes – stayed the same, used 2 medium tomatoes
- Thinly sliced onions – stayed the same, used 1/2 medium onion
- Salt and Pepper – stayed the same, tsp of each
- Olive oil and vinegar – used olive oil but replaced the vinegar with same fabulous Lemongrass Mint infused White Balsamic vinegar from Mount Dora Olive Oil Company
- Dusting of oregano – replaced this with some chopped cilantro
- Added a can of sliced Hearts of Palm that are easily available nowadays but when I was a kid they were an expensive commodity!
Hope you enjoy this salad as much as I do, and I do recommend that you try both versions, they are both great 🙂