I saw this recipe on Facebook recently and decided to give it a try. Of course when I went to through the list of the ingredients needed I found that I was missing a few, so I substituted them for what I thought were similar alternatives.
Listed below are the original ingredients with my replacements in parenthesis:
- 1 cauliflower head
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 400 Deg F and great a small baking pan with the vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups of Plain Greek Yogurt ( used sour cream instead)
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of cumin (used 1 tablespoon of turmeric instead)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
Mix the above ingredients, trim the base of the cauliflower to remove green leaves and the woody stem.
Dunk the cauliflower in the bowl and use a brush to cover it evenly with the marinade. You want a nice thick coating on it!
Place cauliflower on in the baking pan and roast until surface is nicely dry and lightly brown (about 40 minutes). The Marinade will make a crust on the surface.
Remove from oven and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing it. If you would like the cauliflower to be a bit more tender I suggest you roast it for an extra 15/20 minutes as the above one still had a slight crunch to it.
Yes I know, Monday’s are horrible, you get up after the weekend is over needing more rest than you did when Friday came around…..
But the fact is that life still goes on, we get up in the morning, get ready for work, make breakfast, do packed lunches, take kids to school, drive to work in icky traffic, work all day and then back to the kids and time to cook dinner!
As tired as I am, I still find a lot of joy and relaxation whilst making dinner. Its my alone time in the kitchen and the results of what comes out makes everyone happy! What is there not to like about that right?
Tonight I made one of my hubby’s favorite proteins paired with one of my favorite veggies.
Poached salmon with herbs, butter and garlic served on a bed of mashed cauliflower.
FOR THE SALMON…
- Get a pan and fill half way with water and place in oven AT 385 DEG F
- Place your salmon on some aluminum foil, enough foil to make it into a tight package.
- Season salmon to taste, I seasoned it with salt, pepper, freshly crushed garlic, butter, lemon juice and thyme
- Seal package tightly and place in pan with water
- Cook for 20 minutes, then open package to vent and cook for an extra 10 minutes.
FOR THE CAULIFLOWER…
- Boil cauliflower in water seasoned with salt and garlic powder
- Once its soft, drain water and place in food processor
- Add a tsp of butter, handful of cilantro or parsley, clove of garlic, salt and pepper and blend away till nicely mushed!
And voila, in 30 minutes you have a delicious nutritional meal, make the family happy and have plenty of time to tackle the evening chores!!!!!
What to do when you find a tired head of cauliflower in the fridge? Boil it with a clove of garlic and then turn it into a delicious Cauliflower Puree seasoned with parsley, salt and pepper and of course a handful of chopped cilantro. I conveniently had 1/2 lb of scallops from my fave fishmonger at my local Publix, that got a dash of salt, pepper and cayenne pepper and turned into a wonderful dinner combination!