BLACKEYE PEA SALAD/DIP
This recipe and fantastic, dip, salad or whatever you would like to call it, was originally passed on to me by my good friend Michelle Kjonsoe. I make it at least once a month, and the entire batch is gone in a flash! That is when you know something is “Really” good right?
If you analyze the ingredients, it very much falls under the healthy options in life!
I recently submitted this recipe to the “Just a Pinch” club and it won me a “Blue Ribbon” award!
So here is the recipe and hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- 4 cans of Black Eyed Peas – rinsed (last week I bought Southern Style Black Eyed Peas by mistake and this made for a perfectly smoked flavor and gave the salad a new twist!)
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 chopped yellow pepper
- 1 chopped medium red onion (if you don’t have or like red onion, any onion will do fine!)
- 1 cup of chopped cilantro (original recipe calls for parsley but I am a cilantro lover)
- 1 1/2 cups of cherry tomatoes quartered ( I have sometimes skipped this when I find I am out of tomatoes or used regular tomatoes and the recipe still works wonderfully!)
For the Dressing:
- 3/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup of sugar ( I usually substitute this with cooking splenda) and yes I know not the best idea but it works great with brown sugar too!
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (this is not in the original recipe but I like giving it a bit of a spicy kick every once in a while)
Add dressing to veggies, mix well and refrigerate until needed, will last nearly a week in a tightly sealed container!